(1) Where on a plant would you find apical meristems? (bonus: where would you find intercalary meristems?).
Answer: Tips of roots and shoots (bonus: Nodes between leaves, or at the base of leaves).
(2) What does the acronym STEM stand for?
Answer: Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics.
(3) Which of the following is not a stem vegetable: (a) Asparagus (b) Broccoli (c) Celery (d) Kohlrabi (e) Rhubarb?
Answer: (b) Broccoli.
(4) Where does this lyric come from? - “Long stem roses are the way to your heart, but he needs to start with your head” (one point each for the artist and the song).
Answer: Madonna / Express Yourself.
(5) What is the main difference between a human stem cell and any other kind of human cell?
Answer: Stem cells are undifferentiated (ie they are ‘blanks’, with the potential to turn into many different cell types). Other human cells are differentiated, with their cell type already determined.